Who doesn’t love a good bath bomb? They’re fun, they fizz, and they help you feel fabulously pampered. But not all bath bombs are created equal. Some come shrink wrapped in that thin plastic that is impossible to recycle, whilst many contain some strange, not so nice artificial ingredients to give them crazy colours and fragrances that won’t particularly benefit your health in any way. But did you know it’s actually pretty easy to make bath bombs at home? If you have a lot of moulds you can even make a big batch all at once and cover multiple Christmas gifts in one go. I made these bath bombs with orange essential oil (I just love citrus ok) and avocado oil, with the combination being both wonderfully nourishing and giving them a beautiful pastel yellow colour without a drop of colouring used, although if you wanted to you could easily add a little dash of food colouring. They also made my whole kitchen smell amazing when I was making them.
What you need:
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup citric acid
- 1/2 cup salt
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp. water
- 2 tsp. essential oil
- 3 tsp. oil (I used avocado oil)
What to do:
- Add dry ingredients (baking soda, salt, citric acid, and cornstarch) to a large bowl and mix well until combined
- In another bowl, combine the oil, water and essential oil and mix well
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients a few drops at a time. Mix continually with hands as you add the liquid
- Keeping mixing until the mix is damp and when squeezed together doesn’t crumble in your hand. You may need to add a little more liquid if it hasn’t achieved this consistency yet, I added a dash more oil to mine
- Quickly push mixture into your moulds, pressing firmly to fill all the nooks and crannies. Leave to set for at least 24 hours
- When dry gently remove from moulds and store in an airtight container. They should last up to 2 weeks
To use, simply pop one in the bath. I tested these after I made them and they really worked! It was my first ever batch and I was so pleased, the citric acid and sodium bicarbonate react so well together for that fizzing action, they’re the first two ingredients in conventional bath bombs too, but they’re so easy to buy in bulk at home, making these cheaper to make overall. I love them and absolutely no toxins involved!
Until tomorrow, stay magic y’all.