Today it’s time to warm up, look after our health, and practise some self care. For many of us it’s been quite a taxing week. The political landscape and unrest is good in many ways as people stand up for what they believe in, but amidst all of the action, most of which took place in pretty unforgiving cold weather, it’s easy to lose sight of ourselves and our health needs, both physically and mentally.
I absolutely love turmeric, during the winter months I try to sneak it into my cooking regularly for a bit of a health boost because it’s basically a lil wonder spice. It’s an anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and it’s good for brain and heart health alongside many other great benefits. Turmeric tea is a staple in Okinawa, Japan, whilst turmeric milk is traditionally an Ayurvedic drink taken at night to boost health; nowadays both are increasingly popular worldwide.
Below is my turmeric milk recipe for both a health kick and a little warmth boost to fight off the January blues and the cold weather. It looks like a lot of ingredients, but most of these are things we normally have lying around anyway, so don’t be intimidated! It’s always nice to take a moment to indulge and treat ourselves, but this tasty treat also helps build up our defences against the cold. Double whammy.
– 2 cups of homemade almond milk
– 1/2 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
– 1 tablespoon maple syrup
– 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
– 1/1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
– 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
– small amount of grated ginger
– a pinch of black pepper (black pepper enhances turmerics health benefits, so try and take them together when you can)
– Add all ingredients to a small pan on medium heat, stir/whisk to make sure they’re well combined
– Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 5-10 minutes
– If you have any large pieces (ginger/peppercorns/cardamom), strain through cheese cloth
– Serve warm with a dash of cinnamon on top, add more maple syrup for sweetness if needed
– Enjoy! But don’t go totally turmeric crazy as having heaps of it constantly isn’t good for us either, everything in moderation!
And there you have it! Hope it warms your body and your soul this chilly Sunday.
Until next time, stay magic y’all.